Monday, May 31, 2010

Mulberry season in Pittsburgh

In my walk to work over the last few weeks, I've been monitoring the status of my favorite Mulberry trees along my route. I'm happy to report that with the hot summer weather in the last few days, Pittsburgh's mulberry trees are now bursting with ripe fruit. I've added another public tree to the database on the excellent Neighborhood Fruit site, which I talked about last year as a resource for people to find and share fruit in their communities to prevent waste.

If any locals like these bright purple berries, I encourage you to go out to one of these public trees with a bucket and pick until your arms get sore. The fruit won't be around long!

1 comment:

MissK said...

no pictures of delicious bursting fruit? Perhaps you and Tam with your faces covered in juice? What about a delicious salad or tart made with these berries?? Come now, your fans demand it! Well at least EYE do. :) I'm just jealous...no free fruit in LA!